Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Fostering Imagination in Children: Dots, Spots and Circles!

photo of: Fostering Imagination in Children: Spots, Dots and Circles at RainbowsWithinReach

FOSTERING IMAGINATION IN CHILDREN 

Welcome to my little corner of the cyber sphere! 
Welcome to my polka-dot, rainbow corner. 

My hope is to inspire you with sights I've had the privilege to 'SPOT' (today's focus is all about circles, dots and spots) in the midst of my 'author-illustrator' music-lady school visits. I share these goodies with you here, to showcase the excellence-in-education that happens daily across the country. I have the great good fortune to visit a variety of schools and settings and capture as many photos as I can, to share and motivate you further down your own road of excellence. 

This next inviting, hand-painted chair was one of the first photos that I took 'on site' that prompted me to realize how much fun it is to look over my shoulder! It marked a turning point in my blogging adventure. {Don't talk so much about me, as curate all the greatness that I see in my journeys!} IMAGINE!  

photo of: Imagine: Hand Painted Author's Chair at RainbowsWithinReach
IMAGINE! Hand-painted author's chair in kindergarten from earlier article on reading centers

If we want our children and our students to be prepared for our ever changing world, where technology advances in a heartbeat, we need to invest time and energy in cultivating their ability to:
  •  think outside the box
  •  use their imagination
  •  think creatively
  •  think critically
  •  work independently yet be able to 
  •  collaborate with others 
  •  reflect on other, unique outcomes 
  •  discuss similarities and differences 

I saw the following exercise in a preschool that serves young children with special needs. The drawings that follow were part of the PreK classroom's bulletin board and were proudly on display in the hall for all to see. 

Let's get started with the prompt. 

photo of: Using Our Imagination What can We Make with 10 Black Dots? RainbowsWithinReach

And now for my favorite Top 10 responses! 

photo of: Fostering Imagination in Young Children at RainbowsWithinReach












There's so much to like about this experience. 
As a visitor, I appreciate knowing 'why' the artwork was created. 

Because of the very first photo, I know that the children are responding to a prompt. 

I'm wild about the fact that all 10 responses are decidedly unique. 
Original. 
Original solution and original portrayal.
OH HAPPY DAY! 

Imagine if an exercise such as this were happening with every young child, 
on a regular basis. 

Imagine if there were time to show-and-tell what each friend created.
Imagine if these exercises continued as the child matured. 


Needless to say. 
This is the PERFECT response to the Donald Crews picture book. 
"10 Black Dots." 


Or how about, "Lots of Dots" by Craig Frazier. 

Lots of Dots

Or do you prefer 'just' "One Red Dot" by David Carter?
or "600 Black Dots"? 
Your choice! 




It could also be an extension used with "The Dot." Depending on the maturity of the audience, all sorts of layers of the onion are possible in the Peter Reynolds classic. 

The Dot

Perhaps lesser known than the selections above is 
"Press Here" by Herve Tullet. 


YEAH TEACHERS!!!!
Extend those picture books! 

photo of: Lots of DOTS & Spots and Circles: oh my! Roundup at RainbowsWithinReach

Back to building imaginations.......
Here's an example that I shared a couple months ago. 
Similar idea. 
What can you 'build' with the numerals for this year?
(You can click the image to go back to that article.)   

photo of: Creative Thinking in Children via RainbowsWithinReach


And now I'm thinking about spots and dots! 
I've rounded up some circular Arts expressions. 
Starting with young energy and ending with maturity.



photo of: Paper plate art projects, paper plate crafts, paper plate project in preschool, circles on paper plate

photo of: print making in preschool, stamping projects, preschool bulletin board for shapes

I LOVE CIRCLES! 
I LOVE POLKA-DOTS! 
I LOVE PRINT-MAKING!

photo of: Marshmallow Painting via RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: Shapes in Reggio, shape people, shapes for kids, preschool shapes

geometry for children, geometry in early childhood, shapes in art paintings

photo of: Fine Artists with children, Seurat, pointillism, circles in preschool, kindergarten Art with shapes

Circle shape inPhoto of: circle shape in preschool, drawing circles, fine motor development, ECE, NAEYC





photo of: Concentric Circle Weavings in Elementary School via RainbowsWithinReach


photo of: Kaleidoscopic Colors on UP-Cycled CDs via RainbowsWithinReach


I LUV, LUV, LUV when teachers direct their students to create ORIGINAL responses to my picture books. 
Look at the quilt that was made by second graders in response to my newest book, "Red, White and Blue." 

Wouldn't this be AWESOME to do something similar right now,
 in time for the 4th of July? 

photo of: "Red, White and Blue" Bulletin Board by Second Graders at RainbowsWithinReach


For long time readers here, it comes as no surprise that I adore polka-dots! 
I was motivated to go digging in my memory card for the dot project responses, 
BECAUSE I LEARNED SOMETHING NEW!
I learned how to crop a photo into a circle!
Circle crops can be accomplished for FREE at Picmonkey! 


And then I went a little dot-crazy....
as I have been known to do. 



I was prowling around for this insight, 
because I am entering yet another era.

Fairly soon, you will be seeing a new 'header' up-top when you arrive! 




How I spent my summer: Remaking my blog.
A-N-D..... 
For those of you keeping track of my VEGAS ensemble, 
here is the latest progress report. 

I have now sewn the ruffles on the bottom of my hand painted skirt. 


Other delightful diversions over the last couple of days? 

Getting to hear Ladysmith Black Mambazo in concert. 
Definitely one more click checked off on my bucket list. 

Their harmonies had me in tears. 
REJOICING tears. 
Hope and Peace. 
Peace and HOPE. 


We also went to a coffee house with a couple thousand of our closest friends to hear 'Melanie' 
on the hillside, on a gorgeous evening. 

Talk about the 'way-back machine.' 




When I say a gorgeous evening. I'm not kidding. Here's the sunset on the way home from the outdoor concert. This is of Eagle Harbor in the village of Ephraim, WI. (That's the actual Green Bay, not the city but the bay.) 

I took the photo as we careened home on the motorcycle. INCREDIBLE. 

So that's the news. I'm starting something new around here. Things are going to be looking freshened up. I have a LOT to learn! I'm making progress on all fronts. 


As always, I'm grateful for your pin! 

-- Debbie -- 

Follow Me on Pinterest
I'm now at 125,851 followers!     
Click this link to go there directly! 
Pre-K, Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - TeachersPayTeachers.com
Now at 431 followers!


I've done some window shopping for you. 
Whenever you click from here to purchase at Amazon a portion of the sale goes to support this blog. 
Thanks! 

1 comment:

  1. Debbie,
    I love the circles. I saw a children's bubble machine used in art last week at a course. I bought one - one dollar - and tried it out - very cool what happens.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...