Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Planets, Rockets and Aliens: Oh MY!

photo of: Planets, Rockets and Aliens: oh My! Stem for the early years. RoundUP at RainbowsWithinReach

SPACE: THE FINAL FRONTIER 

Is there anything more inviting than learning about space? 
Planets, rocket ships + far off galaxies are the very stuff where imaginations are fabricated, nurtured and developed.
Are you thinking STEM for young children? 
 Science, Technology, Engineering, Math! 
I've gathered up some inspiration from my recent school visits.
Let's get started with this 3D Solar System hanging in the skylight at the Childhood League Center here in Columbus. 

photo of: Planets in the ECE classroom via RainbowsWithinReach

The League is the launching pad of my professional career. 
It's where I was hired back in 1979 as a Resource Teacher: meaning Art + Music.  
The center serves children with special needs. 
Look at these upcycled rocket ships! 
How clever is this idea? 
Paper towel tubes and a paper plate. 
It just so happens that the classroom cupboards are that deep blue and make a perfect backdrop. 





Everything about that project is WIN/WIN/WIN! 
The child has total reign over the painting process and gets to explore the media. 
There is an end-result that ties into the theme. 

Here are some young astronauts working together with magnetic tiles building space vehicles. 
How awesome is it that they are working in front of a mirror?
Magnify the fun!
If you've never had the opportunity to play with Magna-Tiles, they are da bomb! 





***How big is your budget for Magna-Tiles? Obviously the more the merrier. Consider whether you want them clear (where they are awesome working on light tables or 'solid' with those inherent benefits.) If you only have room for one set, I'd choose the clear version myself.
Yes! If you click through from here to purchase, you will be supporting my retirement account, and I thank you!

As usual. 
I'm short on time, but not on images. 
Fill in the blanks. 
Enjoy these space-themed bulletin boards!! 






photo of: Solar System Bulletin Board (Planets) from Bulletin Board RoundUP via RainbowsWithinReach

photo of: Showcase Bulletin Board with Outer Space/Rocket Theme (from Bulletin Board RoundUP via RainbowsWithinReach)

I have a whole pinboard dedicated to "Outer Space."

Now let's end up with some oh-so-clever symmetrical aliens. 
These landed in Friendswood, TX.
Like I said earlier: IMAGINATION! 






Symmetry is one of my favorite concepts to teach as an Arts Educator. 
This same hallway with the aliens, had these brilliant examples that I featured in this Parquetry RoundUp previously.



If you're digging around here for science ideas, I had this science RoundUP earlier. 

photo of: Science for Young Children, Preschool + Kindergarten Experiments (RoundUP via RainbowsWIthinReach)

Or if its Math you're looking for, this article just arrived in my Top 10 list! 

Making Math Meaningful: Building a Math Foundation

Thanks as always for your pin! They are my #1 referral for readers. 


Follow Me on Pinterest


Consider following all of my pinboards! 
I'm now up to 115,000 followers! 

-- Debbie -- 

***Here's my window-shopping on your behalf over at Amazon on this topic. 
Your click from here to your own shopping supports my efforts here and adds a little cha-ching to my retirement account. Thanks for your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...